Friends of the podcast Elizabeth Shoemaker and Ryan Macklin have put together a charity for a dear friend of Elizabeth. In her words:
Hey guys—I want to tell you about my friend Kelly. She is a hilarious badass, and a modestly successful food photographer. She’s got a pretty great life at a pretty young age— husband imported from Denmark, two cute cats, and she gets to do what she loves. She is generous to a fault, relentlessly cheerful, and a giant nerd who LOVES D&D and Minecraft.
Last month, she wasn’t feeling so great, so she went to the doctor. Tumors everywhere. That’s not a euphemism.
She had the tumors removed and everything biopsied, and bad news came back. I would have been upset; her husband certainly was. How do you think she reacted?
“Today is a GREAT day! First of all, today is officially 1 week of healing under my belt since surgery, which is 1 week closer to being healed up. Biopsy results on colon, bladder, ovaries and tumors came in…. Colon, bladder & ovaries are CLEAR! Tumors are all benign. Now… To heal up and finish the fight with the last enemy left: Cervical Cancer. I will not accept defeat.”
Can you imagine that? Can you imagine getting yourself psyched about JUST having cervical cancer? I was having a bad day, but shit damn did that put it into perspective. Like I said, relentlessly positive.
Except she’s having trouble staying positive lately. Despite a super-high monthly insurance premium, she owes three grand on the tumor removal— and will probably owe another four grand after this round of radiation.
So, if you donate to this charity, you get a whole bunch of awesome games:
- Elizabeth Sampat’s Blowback
- Vincent Baker’s Murderous Ghosts
- Emily Care Boss’ Breaking the Ice
- David Hill & Filamena Young’s Maschine Zeit, along with an adventure for it
- Joshua A.C. Newman’s Shock: and Human Contact (The only way to get a PDF of Human Contact without buying the physical!)
- Dungeon World Compendium #1: Finer Things, a special themed-moves compendium by Adam Koebel & Sage La Torra.
- Josh Roby’s Rooksbridge chapbooks, #1-4, in PDF & epub formats
- Ben Lehman’s Clover
- Jason Blair’s Little Fears Nightmare Edition
- …and, if we get $4000 total, everyone in the world gets Ryan Macklin’s Mythender. Ryan will put the finishing polish on the game’s text (which will take a couple months) and release it for free to the public.
As of this posting, they’re already well past the 4,000$ mark, because gamers are awesome. Still, this is a great cause, and I wanted our listeners to know about it! Go! Donate! If nothing else because there’s some fantastic games you’ll get out of it.